- Any book judged to be of great value to Canadian lawyers and judges in the performance of their daily duties.
- The book must have been published in the two year-period preceding the awarding of the prize.
- Awarded in alternating years for works written in English (odd-numbered years) and French (even-numbered years).
- Co-authors are acknowledged as nominees.
SUBMISSION OF WORKS FOR THE 2016 COMPETITION
- Submissions must be accompanied by a statement of 200 words or less explaining how the book meets the award criteria.
- The submissions must be made with the author’s consent. At the end of the competition, the books will not be returned to the individuals or to the publishing companies that submitted them.
- The deadline for applications is March 4, 2016. Submissions must include at least one copy of the book (two to five copies would be appreciated) sent to the attention of the Selection Committee Secretary, at the following address:
Ms. Svetlana Kochkina
Nahum Gelber Law Library
3660 Peel Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1W9
The winning submission will be an important work on a topic of current interest in the field of law. Its value must be highly appreciated by jurists, including judges, practising lawyers, and academics.
In choosing the winner, first editions will be preferred over subsequent editions of works that have already been published, unless a new edition consists of an extensive and complete revision of the original work. General interest works such as biographies of eminent jurists, commissioned works, and research in the context of law reform are also less likely to be selected.
The successful candidate will be chosen by a Selection Committee made up of eminent lawyers, judges and/or academics appointed annually by the Foundation for Legal Research.
The members of the Selection Committee are:
Ms. Julie Latour – Chair
Ms. Svetlana Kochkina – Secretary
The Hon. Serge Gaudet
Ms. Christine Morin
Mr. Daniel Mockle
Ms. Teresa Scassa
AWARD AND CEREMONY
The award is a $10,000 cash prize funded by the Foundation for Legal Research. It will be awarded at the CBA Annual Meeting in August.
For additional information, please contact the Secretary of the Selection Committee, Ms. Svetlana Kochinka (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Chair of the Selection Committee, Ms. Julie Latour (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications:
March 4, 2016
Me Julie Latour
Présidente du Comité de selection
500 rue Sherbrooke O, bureau 2200
Montréal, QC H3A 3G6